Responsibilities and areas of interest
The responsibilities of O.A.K. S.A. are the studding, planning, constructing & managing of:
The Trans- European road network of Crete. OAK SA has the responsibility of the development, maintenance and management of North (ΒΟΑΚ) and South (ΝΟΑΚ) Road Network of Crete.
The Hydraulic Infrastructures (Dams, reservoirs and water treatment plants). Three dams, with total capacity up to 50 M m3 (dam of Aposelemi in Heraklio with capacity 27.1 M m3, dam of Potamon in Rethymnon with capacity 22.5 M m3 and the dam of Valsamioti in Chania with capacity of 6 M. m3), the Reservoir of Agios Georgios in Lasithi with capacity of 2.15 M m3, more than 15 small tanks with total capacity 230.000 m3 and two water treatment plants (Dramia and Heraklio) have been constructed and functioning under the supervision of the Organization.
The water supply – irrigation networks of Crete. The project of former OADYK “Integrated Water Resources Management of Western Crete” has been expanded with the water networks of Eastern Crete. The networks of OAK SA include: 430 km mains and distribution irrigation networks in Western Crete (irrigation area of 135.000 ha) and water supply network 70 km in Eastern Crete (Water supply for 264.000 residents and 125.000 hotel beds). OAK SA distributes annually 120 M m3 water, through the water network, with about 28 pump stations and many water drillings.
Furthermore it supports the development of the countryside through projects and Community Initiatives (Leader of Western Crete, Rural Development Programs, Community-Led Local Development (CLLD) of Western Crete, Employment Programs, start – ups support etc.) with the aim to contribute to the development of the region of Crete.
Furthermore, OAK SA strategy focuses in:
1. Renewable Energy Projects development: OAK SA is elaborating the Project “Energy exploitation of the Dam of Potamon: Pumped Storage Hybrid Power Station 50MW” (Project Budget: 230.000.000€, Current statement: Supply License from regulatory Authority of Energy, Contractor: TERNA ENERGY.
The Organization has investigated the application of photovoltaic systems on the water pump stations to reduce the cost of purchased power from electrical grid.
2. Water management plans, cost analysis, water prices, cost recovery: OAK SA is Member of the Scientific Work Group to support the Special Secretariat of Water of the Greek Ministry of Environment, Energy and Climate Change for the preparation of the project “Management Plan for the River Basin Districts of Crete, Greece”.
3. Automation systems of water networks: OAK SA operates an integrated system for data acquisition, supervising control, remote control & overall supervising of the stations (SCADA).
The areas of interest for future development, based on the Strategic Plan of the Organization are:
1) The Optimization of the exploitation and the management of the available surface and groundwater.
2) The development of Renewable Energy Projects in terms of:
- Large energy storage systems: energy exploitation of dams and reservoirs using pump storage systems.
- Small RES systems developed in infrastructures and land of OAK SA (photovoltaic systems, small wind turbines, small hydro power systems).
3) Projects related to Urban and Transport Development (Smart Transportation).
4) Upgrade and expansion of the existing automation systems of water networks.
5) Urban and countryside development, startups support etc.